Saturday, March 24, 2012

Book Club with gr. 9's part 3

Here  are the links to the Venn Diagram Sheet and Sequence Sheet mentioned in the first blog post about the Book Club activities for my gr. 9 German class with the book Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zeville.

Venn Diagram

Sequence Chart

And these are the quotes that I wanted my students to comment on. Unfortunately I don't yet have a copy of the book, I just read it on my Kindle so there are no page numbers yet. When I get my book i will update this...promise!


Quotes to Comment on

  • “I have always been required to fill in the blanks.” (pg...)
  • “He felt comfortable and broken-in like favorite jeans.” (pg...)
  • “I didn't need to remember him to know exactly how to tease him.” (pg...)
  • “But I understood what Dad was like because I was like that, too. This was why I couldn't look at him.” (pg...)
  • “I'll never leave you, kid.” (pg...)
  • “For a moment, I would not even realize who I was looking at, and, instinctively I would turn away. It is rude to stare at strangers...” (pg...)
  • “I hung up the phone and felt lonelier than ever.” (pg...)
  • “ 'I give everything away. I believe Naomi, that your possessions possess you, do you know?' I wasn't sure.” (pg...)
  • “We both really believe that [yearbook] can define the school and the way people see the school. A good high school yearbook can make a better school. And better kids. And a better planet. And a better universe. We write the story of the year. If you think about it, it's a huge responsibility” (pg...)
  • “When I saw myself in the bathroom mirror, I felt sort of elated. It seems strange to say even now, but I finally recognized the person in the mirror as the person inside my head.” (pg...)
  • “...I can't stop thinking about your hair. It intrigues me. It's like you have nothing to hide behind anymore.” (pg...)
  • “He made me feel transparent when I was still opaque to myself.” (pg...)
  • “A good nickname tells you something about the person it belongs to, and it was so with [Will's]” (pg...)
  • “ 'There are all sorts of things I could tell you,' he said, 'if you ever wanted to know them'.” (pg...)
  • “Screw the past. It made me so happy to hear someone say that.” (pg...)
  • “I interrupted, 'I don't care about any of that. It's in the past.' It was my new philosophy. It had to be.” (pg...)
  • “These things tend to take on a momentum of their own.” (pg...)
  • “Once he'd translated, I replied without really thinking, 'Ni l'un ni l'autre. L'appareil-photo,' meaning 'Neither, I blame the camera.' ” (pg...)
  • “It's when you don't need something that you tend to lose it.” (pg...)
  • “And I was crying for gravity. It had sent me down the stairs, and I'd thought that meant something, but maybe it was just the direction that all things tend to flow.” (pg...)
  • “I had thought the way I felt about Will was just a room, but it had turned out to be a mansion. He had turned out to be a mansion.” (pg...)
  • “You forget all of it anyway...You forget all of them. Even the ones you said you loved, and even the ones you actually did. They're the last to go. And then once you've forgotten enough, you love someone else.” (pg...)
  • “...'I will' is nicer. It has the future in it. 'I do' just has the present.” (pg...)
  • “...all that made our quiet a kind of song. The kind that you hum without even knowing what it is or why you're humming it. The kind you've always known.” (pg...) 

*** so we changed what had to be done for the quotes, the students had to look up where the quotes were and tell us who said it and why it was important, hence I have not added the pages. If you want the pages though you can message me and I will send them out! ***

No comments:

Post a Comment