Then they learn about teenage millionaires. Then I thought a good idea would be to not only learn about teenage millionaires, but maybe also learn about people who help others. My husband works for the Canadian charity Free the Children, which was founded by Craig Kielburger when he was 12 years old.
Very basically FTC is a charity founded by children to help children.
Free the Children Lesson Plan (takes about 60-70 mins)(good for ages 12-17)
First make a mind-map with the word 'charity'. (What is it? What charities do you know?, What do they do?)
Then does anyone work with any charities? Are there are any charities for children?
Then start talking about children charities, if they know any, if they have heard of one that is run by children. A charity where a child is the boss. Tell them briefly about FTC, that was founded by a child. That it is a charity for children. Then watch this video about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RiUHRCK0yw&feature=player_embedded#!
Then after the first watching ask what they thought about it. Ask a couple questions about the video:
1) Discuss what shameless and idealistic mean:to not feel embarrassed, ashamed, guilty, awkward, weird about something and idealistic: to believe that all things are possible, that the impossible is possible
2) Is FTC only interested in helping people in other countries? Or do they help people in Canada as well?
Then hand out the FTC movie sheet (see below!) and get them to answer those questions (Watch video up to 2x to make sure they get the answers)
Take up the sheet.
Using pre-prepared FTC sheets (see below) about the 4 campaigns mentioned in the video. Then ask them to get into groups of 3, they choose one campaign fact sheet, read it in their group and make a small presentation about the campaign. In their presentation they should include: -the name of the campaign -what it does -why it exists (why do they have this campaign) -could they do it at their school? Present to the rest of the group.
Have a closing discussion about the campaigns, which one do you like? Which one would you do? Do you think you will get involved in a charity?
*All pictures and information taken from Free the Children website* *Activity made by me though! ;-) *
Free the Children Movie Sheet
- When did Free the Children start?
- Who founded it? How old was he?
- Who said that she would build 100 schools?
- How many countries is FTC active in?
- How many Youth in Action Groups are there?
- What are some of the Campaigns?
- Where does FTC adopt villages?
- What do they do in the Adopt a Village program?